11.30.2010

A cupcake party, a holiday, and a couple of teefs

My mother is a subtle decorator.


That's a lie. 

She's anything but subtle in absolutely everything.  But she makes sure to always take care of the details.  Like the Santa Claus nightlight in the kitchen.  If the Santa Claus nightlight has replaced the hummingbird nightlight in the kitchen. . .you know it's the holidays.

(if this sounds a bit sarcastic. . .then you're right where you should be.)

We've had a busy few weeks in the P household that now lives with the G household.  We went to cousin K's birthday party.  Which was a blast because of a few reasons:

1. We haven't seen them in almost a year and we've missed them!
2. They had bakery cupcakes. And any party with cupcakes trumps a party without cupcakes in my book.
3. They have a dog.  And any party with a dog trumps a party without a dog in Cole's book.

A blast.

Here's the Tills crawling at the party while showing us that not only can she make her eyes look demon-ey, but she can also cross them in two different ways:


Side Note: 'the Tills' is Matilda's new nickname coined by Cole.  It's funny because it's not only used in affection, but also when he's just about ready to go nuts on her, as in "MUM. . .the Tills take my shrain!"

The Tills is crawling and pulling herself to standing.  Which, like many other things about babyhood that I've chosen to forget, is actually not a fun or exciting stage of development at all.  Especially with a toddler.  It's bad enough that my sweet girl has a new bruised egg on her forehead every other day, but the combination of that, paired with some new teeth, and topped off with trying to separate their toys. . .is enough to drive me to put a few eggs on my forehead. 

That's a lie. . .It's enough to drive me to put a few eggs on Bill's forehead.  I mean, really. . who are we kidding here? 

Back to the cupcakes.  We weren't talking about cupcakes yet, were we?  Clearly you can tell what made an impact for me here. . .

Can you tell that those are little mice made of frosting on that cupcake?  Not the tough frosting that doesn't really taste that good anyway. . .the good frosting.  Anyway. . .great party. 

Onto Thanksgiving. . .

We spent Thanksgiving with two close friends this year.  This was exciting for a few reasons, too:

1.  We wouldn't come home with colds.
2.  Holidays are quiet when there is only your children (and one of them can't speak!) and cats.
3.  I had my first taste of candied yams. . .and am certain they were made by God herself!
4.  We had place cards!  Even the Tills!

I think sometimes we get so worried about obligations to family that friends are easily forgotten.  Especially when you have kids.  I know that my folks were pretty surprised when they found out that we were choosing to spend the holiday with friends instead of family.  But you know?  When your friends have known you as long as these ones. . .there is very little distinction between the two.

Friends, and keeping in touch regularly is something that really helps to keep both Bill and I stable and healthy.  It's something we need to do better.  And we were all (kids included!) glad we made the trip and decided to spend the holiday that way.

Cole entered their home and ran right for his place card:

 How could he not?

Cole played trains on the floor in the living room while the Tills smashed some Cheerios and I got to watch football.  The turkey was amazing, the wine was better, and the children slept like sugarplums all the way home.  I think they actually dream of sugarplums, but that's besides the point.

Let's stick with the numbered theme and list out our family updates:

1. Cole seems to have finally figured out that I'm working and not home during the day.  Nights can be tough.  He wants to be glued to my leg for the two hours I am home before his bedtime.  I, too am starting to have more serious feelings of guilt and all that stuff people keep reminding me is normal and necessary.  Hasn't made it easier.  But it's good to know that it's not a me-alone kind of problem.

2.  The Tills is just breaking her two front teeth.  Just in time for Christmas.  Silly joke.  She's fussy and moody and restless and not very nice to William in the wee hours of the morning.

3.  I am enjoying my job and will post more about it soon.  Really, I will.  Let's just wait until I've reached my 90 day-probationary period.  You know. . .just to be sure. ;-)

4.  Living with the Mom and Dad G is still very trying.  Bill and I are trying to figure out how we can be less invasive on their lives. . . their, crazy. . .loud. . .filled with Everybody Loves Raymond for 18 hours each day. . .lives.  No solutions yet, but if you have any ideas on if the cable company will let you block TBS from your parents. . .please let me know.

No comments: