10.23.2008

I know a lesbian. . .he works at the post office!

My Grammy died this week. Stinks to have to start your update that way. . .but it's what we've been consumed with this week, so I tell you. I was just telling someone on Sunday that she was doing well. . .playing cards with friends and going to church. And on Tuesday morning she was found in her apartment.

I'm sadder than I thought I'd be, too. It's made me think about our relationship and how it relates to me now that I'm a mom. My Gram was closer to me than any aunt, uncle or cousin I have, and for a good portion of my teen angst years. . .closer to me than my folks. She was able to explain things in a way I could understand when I wasn't willing to listen to many other people. We were very close and she was a confidant of mine that I'll really miss having around.

If I didn't realize it before, I sure do now that I need to help Cole establish relationships with his grandparents like my folks did with mine. Both my grandparents really helped shape who I am, and Cole will be very fortunate to have similar relationships with his.

In classic Grammy style. . .she wrote her own obituary. Here's a link to it: http://www.webfh.com/fh/obituaries/obituary.cfm?o_id=206753&fh_id=10707&s_id=06A7980AC04FE44678BF842173AE69F9

I think I laughed out loud when I got to the part that said. . ."she enjoyed going to Foxwoods." She sure did.

Some friends have reminded me of some funny Gram moments that we've had together. . .like the time. . .

. . .she asked a group of my friends if they knew what condoms were. . .and then fell into our Christmas tree because she was drunk. . . .

. . .told another group of my friends that "she had a friend that was a lesbian. . .and he worked at the post office". . .

. . .gave Bill a martini when he was 19. . .

. . .told my most recent boss that I really shouldn't be working for his "crummy place" because I have a Master's Degree. . .

. . .pinched Cole to hear him cry because "she just loves the sound of babies crying". . .

. . .brought a dish of raw meat stuffing to Thanksgiving and insisted it had been in the oven for over an hour. . .

Makes me laugh. . .and that's a good thing.

Cole got a neat CD the other day. . .Lullaby Renditions of Radiohead. Radiohead is one of Bill's favorite bands and this CD is a collection of their songs, made into instrumental lullabies. I think Bill enjoyed it more than Cole. If you're interested. . .they have about a million others to choose from. . .like lullabies from the Beatles, Pink Floyd, the Rolling Stones, Led Zepplin, AC/DC, Metallica, the Cure, Bob Marley. . .and more! http://www.rockabyebabymusic.com/web/page.asp?pgs=products

We'll be in Gardner most of the weekend, but Monday will see Dr. M for our weight check up. I'll keep you posted next week how we made out!



No comments: