8.11.2010

camping with less whiskey. . .but whiskey nonetheless

In all my thought about motherhood and saving the world. . .I forgot to tell you what the pods and I have been up to this week!

Saturday was our 6 year anniversary. . .

it's still pretty much like this
[Side note:  Why do some people feel the uncontrollable need to tell you that who-the-hell-cares % of marriages break up within the first 7 years?  Seriously?  What is that? And while we're on the subject of complete garbage that comes out of some people's mouths. . .quit asking me if I think that moving in with my parents will strain my marriage.  If I did, we wouldn't be doing it.  Ahhh, thank you.]

To celebrate, we took Cole camping for the night (my, how things have changed. . .). 

Bill and his family used to camp.  I never camped.  The only experience I have with camping has been as an adult, with a bottle of whiskey, talking over a campfire and under the stars with my hubby until the early morning hours.  For.  One.  Night. 
The next morning, we pack up.  We go out for breakfast.  We go home and shower.

We only pulled a one-nighter with Cole but surprisingly, he went to bed when we told him to.  We were able to enjoy each other's company, over a campfire and under the stars (with a bit less whiskey).  It was a great night.

beach toys are multi-functional
we're not out in nature that often, trying to drive buses up trees
slamming an entire roasted marshmallow in his mouth
while wearing his favorite [read: hideous] Thomas tee shirt
and death-gripping a glow stick all night
Then, if that wasn't enough excitement for one week. . .I decided to take the children to a local theatre that puts on kid-themed plays during the summer.

In my defense, I called a few family members to ask if this was a crazy endeavour.  Overwhelmingly, their answer was yes. 

We went anyway.

It took me longer to find a parking spot than it did to get there, so unfortunately, we were a bit late.  We went to see Snow White, and joined the show during the dwarf's "Hi-Ho" bit.  Cole likes that bit.  It still makes me giggle when he walks around the house singing "Hoooooo."  That, and when he messes up his "j" and "d" while trying to say "juice."  Most times sometimes, I act like an 11 year old.

So. . .yeah.  To all you haters (mainly my brother and father) who said I couldn't handle two little ones in a quiet theatre. . .I not only did it, but made it look good.  Well, we got there late and sat in the back of the balcony. . .that might have helped, too.

Anyway, here's the thing. . .

I'm a terrible photographer.  Which is unfortunate, because I'm the one that takes all the pictures.  This theatre was so adorable and would have made for great pictures. 

I just can't take nice pictures.

Look at this fantastic picture that someone else took of the place:

and this is just the front of the joint
Now, look at the picture I took:


wtf? 
no, I don't know who that is
and I swear I didn't see her adjusting her britches when I snapped the picture
So, I would have enjoyed showing you how much my little man (and baby girl, btw!) loved the theatre.  The only crying to be had was when the house lights came up and it was time to go.  We did manage to hunt Snow White down so Cole could snuggle her legs a little before we went home.  Guess that stuff starts as early as you'll let it.

You know, as an aside. . .head over to Dear Baby for a bit and check out her lovely pictures of dovie, as her little one is affectionally nicknamed.  Beautiful pictures of a beautiful family. . .maybe I could benefit from a photography class. . .that's a thought.

1 comment:

Lori said...

my in-laws are camping this weekend... in our backyard, i think. :p we'll see how it goes.

oh and i'm a terrible photographer too. but i think you got some good ones at least!