8.05.2010

A Quick Update: I'll Probably Have a Curfew

There's all kinds of things I've been wanting to post about this week.  We went to the farm, I ran into a girl I used to work with who was all snarky with me about being a SAHM, Matilda's started solids, blah blah. . .but my mind is still obsessing revolving around the fact that we have decided to move. 

I'm having serious amounts of anxiety this week.

So, quick story:  My dad had a liver transplant a few weeks ago.  Some know that, some don't and either way, it's his business that I'm throwing out to you all on the interweb. . .so that's why I've been hesitant to say much.  But it's had a pretty big effect on our family and therefore, is fair game. ;-)  He's doing well, and we're doing well, but it's a long recovery.  Very long.

And it requires plenty of help from all kinds of people, willing to do all kinds of things.  And that's where this move comes into play.  Our plan is to move back into my parent's home for a little while.  There are things around the house and with my dad that we can help with and we need the help, too.  It's a good time to stop, reevaluate what we've been doing, and make the changes that need to be made. 

Sometimes, if you don't admit that you need to do that. . .you just keep going in the wrong direction.  Keep doing the same things, over and over.  The same way.  Because that's what you know.  And really, when better to do this then when I can also be helpful to someone else that I love very much?  So. . .score.  You know, as much as moving back in with your folks can be a score. . .

Bill said to me the other day that in most countries, its normal for generations and generations live together under one roof.  He always tries to be so positive.  I wonder if those generations yell at each other about using all the hot water in the shower.  Or that the dishwasher is loaded incorrectly.  Or that the TV is on volume 400 all. day. long.

There's the obvious concern of what happens when you put people together that haven't been together like that in a long time. There's parenting issues we'll have to deal with.  Some quite simple like, not feeding my toddler marshmallows at all hours of the day or night.  Some a bit tougher like, how do grandparents get to be all spoiley with their grand kids if we live there.  all. the. time? 

We'll figure it out.  And it's only for a short time.  Although when I write that, I hear myself say "yeah, okay. . ."

You know, we're so fortunate that we have great relationships with both of our families.  For a lot of folks, something like this wouldn't even be an option.  I know the kids will be better off for it, and it'll make me feel useful, too.  There's just a lot of things swirling in my head right now and I'm sure I'll need to be back here more often for some sanity.  Well, that. . .and maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea to map out the local bar.

I'll keep you posted but right now the plan is to be there by the end of the month.  If we're scarce until then, you know why.

We've had a pretty busy week!  I took Cole and Matilda to the farm to see the animals.  Such a hit.  When we got home, it took Cole 2 hours to settle down and stop mooing enough to take a nap.  Now that's a kid that likes livestock. . .
there was a stand-off with a sheep
seconds before a freak out while being swarmed by chickens

standing back to admire the goats

there was a retreat from the sheep

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi...don't hesitate to ask for help. I'm assuming the 'rents still live in G-Veg? Just give a call...

Christine Tibbs...

Taryn said...

After living away for sooooo long it may suck at first but your reasons are far different then permanent residence. (Not meant to bash anyone it is just different coming back from afar) So definitely live it up while you can in G-Vegas. And if you are still there next summer we are definitely hitting the bar. :) Please send my best to your dad. <3 and {hugs} to you guys