6.05.2008

his going-ons

In celebration of Cole's fourth month, we've decided to create a Cole blog. As Greg said it best, a collection of his "going-ons" for you to read and to refresh your Cole information as you please.

The major news on the home front is that we are trying to regulate Cole's sleep schedule. At the advice of an old high school buddy of mine, I picked up the book Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child and I think they're onto something. The premise of the book is that the more your child sleeps, the easier sleep will come to them, especially at night. There are two major components to healthy sleep; naps and a regular bedtime.

Naps aren't our problem. Cole naps roughly twice a day and usually during the same time. . .but bedtime has been brutal. In fact, I don't think there's been a day in the last four months that Cole hasn't slept with us. He just won't. And, because sheer exhaustion outweighs patience, we've been reinforcing this bad habit just to get some sleep ourselves.

So tonight's the night, we've decided. There are clean sheets on the crib, the mobile is ready to go, and there are strategically placed musical puppies in the corners. The book has warned me on every one of its 457 pages that Cole will cry - and cry a lot for the first few nights. I'm ready. I'm ready for this war of wills between my inevitable guilt for letting my baby cry and his will to keep up his antics. We'll keep you posted. Wish us (and the neighbors) luck.

No comments: