6.16.2008

I might be turning into a hippie

So today Cole and I went to a eco-friendly baby store in town and purchased some cloth diapers. I know. . .how absolutely crunchy of us. I'm not saying we are making a complete and total switch, but since Bill and I are the main diaper-changers of Cole's life . . .we didn't mind trying it out.

There are a few reasons for the trial run of cloth diapers. A major factor is cost. I was lucky enough to have gotten so many packages of diapers for my baby shower that I am only now needing to buy diapers. Seeing the cost of diapers and how we go through them for the first time, made me start to research other options.

Secondly, we don't have trash pick up in Milford, and Bill's had to practically double our trips to the dump every week because of the diapers we throw away. Our trash is always full. . .and it's always full of diapers.

Which leads to the third reason, which is just to be eco-friendly, if we can be. Throwing away that many diapers which sit in a landfill for a bazillion years. . .is upsetting. Maybe that's the hippie in me coming out a little but if we can make some changes to help minimize the effect we have . . .then we should. And cloth diapers may not be that bad.

I could go also tell you about all the gross chemicals and other ingredients in disposable diapers that I discovered while researching cloth diapering options, but it'll make me sound like a paranoid mom and I'm not sure we're giving up on disposables yet, anyway.

Those are the reasons. So far we've only tried it today and it's gone just fine. For those of you new to cloth diapering, and for some reason interested. . .I'll show you some pictures.

The cloth diaper is on the left, followed by the "doubler" and the cover on the far right that keeps it all together. The cover is a lightweight, breathable material that Velcros around the baby like a disposable diaper.


When you put them together it looks like that. . .

And that's what it looks like when you put them on a confused Cole.

And this is the cute Cole bottom in cloth diapers. ;-) I'll let you know if we're still pro-cloth after one of his "situations".

2 comments:

Life with Emerson and Marleaux said...

I was suppose to go to a cloth diaper party Saturday but it just didnt work out. I am so confused by it all.. What kind did you get?

Anonymous said...

Rock on hippie girl! I will change cloth diapers any time.
Betty